Pages

16 April 2010

This Little Piggy

In the words of my friend, Heather, "Shazaam!" These pigs-in-a-blanket are definitely exclamation worthy.

Pops, husband extraordinaire, managed to perform diagnostic tests, order a new part, install, and finally ... fix my broken oven! (Insert chorus of "Hallelujah" angels here.) With the machine now spittin' out the heat, I had some serious baking to catch up on ... namely some loaves of bread, for we all know that a family without bread is in dire straits. Since I was elbow deep in doughy carb chaos, and completely forgot about the impending dinner hour, I hauled out some franks from the freezer.

Using the crescent roll recipe, I spun up some blankets for these piggies. Once you have your dough ready from the first rise and cut dough into (small) fist sized blobs, you've got some blanket options:

You can snake-roll that dough and then wind 'em round.

Or, you can flatten your dough blob, place your frank in the middle (or a spicy brat, like Pops would wish for), slice a few slits and cris-cross those little dough arms for a nice braided effect.

Let them rise for about 20-30 minutes. If you have the time, brush on an egg wash (whip an egg and add a splash of water) to make them shiny and pretty.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake another 5 minutes or 'til golden brown. (Or 350 convection for about 15 minutes.)

Serve with plenty of ketchup and a salad, and watch those hungry little monkeys of yours get excited. Shazaam!

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that your oven is working again :) And wow, the way you skillfully braided and wrapped the dough around each frank brings pigs-in-a-blanket to a new level of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, really. Why haven't I ever tried this? I can just see my four boys go nuts over this for dinner. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, this sounds like the perfect Saturday lunch! Well, well, well, what do your know? Today is Saturday and it's lunch time! Perfect. And, I echo Ruth, why haven't I tried this before?

    ReplyDelete
  4. our mom used to make these for us growing up... i am going to make them again... yummie... i had my first grilled hot dog tonight... better than a steak.. love them and your blog is fantastic.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Those are the prettiest pigs in blankets I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making these tonight. I've got the dough going right now. I really hope the "t." is for teapoon and not tablespoon. :)

    Can't wait to see the kids' reaction to them.

    ReplyDelete