Pages

21 August 2014

A Good Day

Oh, thank you for all of the comments and personal emails yesterday of bolstering encouragement. It really was a boost. I say I am writing this blog for friends, family and posterity ... but it may just be for a few pats on the back and "you can do it" cheers. Merci.

Miss Lucette took some photos today of our laundry gathering. We've been avoiding using the dryer to save on electric bills and with the weather still calm ... it's a rather pleasant experience to let the sun do all the work.

While we hope to do some exploring beyond our little village this weekend, we have so enjoyed just doing everyday life. It's some calm amidst the chaos.

Because things are never picture perfect. And that's okay. Sometimes you have to wrestle with a bathmat on its way down from the line. But the laundry still gets brought in and at the end of the day ... I am the boss of the bathmat.

Today we managed a trip to the bank (hurrah!) and tomorrow we have a morning meeting at school to square away the details (hurrah! hurrah!). Our liaison we found through our landlord, Caroline, has been acting as translator and all-things extraordinaire. Finding the best bank rates and wi-fi companies, setting up appointments, recommending the best place for pastries and haircuts. She's sharp as a tack and is covering some of the details we don't know to. Plus, as one might expect, she's got that French Femme savoir faire. Must remember to mine for tips.

But now the day is done, the laundry is in and the bathmat is in a subservient position on the floor. All in all, a good day.


6 comments:

  1. There is something so calming about seeing laundry drying outside, properly lined up, flapping in the breeze. And I'm relieved for you that you have someone to guide you through the finer details of life; translators are truly wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile- I can hear you writing it and can tell today was a better day, and I'm so glad! I'm sure the ups and downs (not to mention exhaustion) must be so hard! Miss you, and I am gobbling up all the blog details and photos- keep them coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first photo in this, "episode", it looks like you are wearing a blue cape!! I love it! A French Superhero.... La Laundress! Love to see your life in photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It does! If I had one, I think I would wear it. All the time.

      Delete
  4. How I could do with a some of that French 'Savoir Faire'. If ever you get the time to read and assuming you haven't already, I would heartily recommend Mireille Guiliano's 'Women, Work and the Art of Savoire Faire'. This lovely lady was the CEO of Veuve Cliquot Champagne and her books are a pleasure to read. They also offer a window on the life and philosopy of an incredibly successful French business woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read her "French Women Don't Get Fat" and thought it was an intriguing read!

      Delete