Pages

18 September 2014

Covert Photos From the Yogurt Aisle

When I have emailed, FaceTimed and Skyped with my dear ones, inevitably, the question will be asked: "What is different?" or "What do you love about being there?" Of course, there are many, many things to drone on about, but I always feel compelled to share about one very critical thing: The Yogurt Aisle. (Capitalization mandatory.)

So, the French are serious about their yogurt. It's called yaourt and it seems to rival the baguette in the importance of daily consumption. (Well, okay, nothing beats the baguette here, but it's close!) When you go to the marché, there is a full, double-sided aisle fully loaded with yogurt.

I've been wanting to take some photos (just with my phone) for weeks now, but the aisle is always so busy ... I just felt too creepy taking photos. So I came first thing this morning, right after they opened the store. (9:00am. Nothing is open before 9:00am except ... the boulangerie, where you can buy baguettes. Of course.) And even still, I had to circle a bit until it was relatively empty and pretend to be looking at my phone for something very important. Click. Click-Click. (I don't know why I feel so embarrassed! I wouldn't care at all, back in the States...)

So let's break it down. On the left you have primarily the natural, unsweetened, and not-excessively-sweet-good-for-breakfast yogurts. Mixed in you'll find some crème and some yogurt-like cheeses. Judging by the amount of these yogurts I see it people's carts, I'm pretty sure they have it for breakfast just about everyday. And maybe lunch. And some of it goes in sauces. And baked goods. And as a topping. 

On the right it's all dessert yogurts. I don't even know how to describe it. As Pops said, "It's like a parade of every kind of dairy deliciousness you could imagine..."

And it's not just straight yogurt. It comes in multiple forms: mousse, crème brûlée, fruit compote, tiramisu, rice pudding, with meringue ... and in flavors that will make your brain explode just a little, every.single.time. (Fleur de sel caramel, chestnut mousse, apple tarte, caramel, dark chocolate pistachio, lemon zest ...)

And all kinds of yogurts come in the standard paper or plastic tubs, but often in darling glass jars or even petite terracotta pots (See above photo, middle and to the right). It's also worth noting that yogurts are typically smaller in size than American yogurts. A culinary French theme is definitely: Better to have a little bit of something exquisite than a ton of something subpar. I think this is an excellent philosophy that I will adopt as soon as I stop eating three at a time.

I'm told that everyone here eats a yogurt after dinner. And at school, the kids always have a yogurt as an option for dessert at lunchtime. So I pretty much take this as permission to eat yogurt all the time, anytime. (PS- Did I tell you I was off dairy and gluten for 10 months before we came to France? I think that might be against the law here. And I am very law abiding.)

So would you be as infatuated as me? Even if you aren't normally a yogurt fan, does this pique your interest? What would you go for first?

17 comments:

  1. I would totally swoon! I would want to try each one and not over the course of a month or a year... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the yoghurt aisle when you go to the supermarkets in France. Like you, I particularly like the terracotta and glass pots. I have a collection of empty ones in my cupboard which I brought back with me on our last trip and reuse for jellies, crème caramels and egg custards, etc. The glass ones make great tea light holders too. I've got a sudden case of yoghurt envy. We do get French style set yoghurts here in the UK, which I buy regularly, but they're not as good as the real thing.

    On the subject of yoghurts, I discovered a lovely new flavour of yoghurt this year in Italy. Almond. Totally delicious, but I've never seen it anywhere else since. I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond! Oh dear. That sounds magnificent. Almond or hazelnut is one of my favorite gelato flavors ... I have a feeling the yogurt would be right up my alley!

      Delete
    2. So I'm coming in several weeks, with an empty suitcase...should I plan on filling it with beautiful yaourt containers for the return trip? And I'm brushing up on my French--I know the French love their vowels, but "yaourt" seems to defy pronunciation. Perhaps similar to the camping "yert," with an "ah" thrown in?

      Delete
    3. Oh my goodness, I know! Three vowels in a row!

      Delete
  3. Yes, doesn't anyone have a lactose problem there? I guess not. Did you notice if they have goat's or sheep's milk yogurt? That I would love to see where I shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the French don't really drink milk as a beverage as adults, as they think it's too hard to digest after childhood but that yogurts have the cultures that work more easily on digestive systems ... I've briefly looked into it, and it seems like there could be some science behind the theory. Plus ... the dairy here isn't as kooky as in the States. :)

      Delete
  4. That is SO MUCH yogurt!! It's almost ridiculous! I wonder if the chocolate is good- you have to try one of the chocolate ones (or have you?). What is your favorite flavor so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. The chocolate is good (all 40,000 options). I speak from experience ...

      Delete
  5. I'm the same way with taking pictures here! I'll have to get a little bolder one of these days. And my...I didn't know it was such a big thing, this yaourt. I wish I didn't have to stay away from dairy right now, but it makes me grouchy and *really* effects my mood. Sooo if I want to be a happy mum and wife, no dairy. Still, if I were there, I'd have to cheat just a little and at least taste a wee bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, that's a bit overwhelming. I wouldn't know where to begin. I'd probably start with the cutest containers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, please! I'll take one of each... for this week! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like yogurt... but these sound wonderful.. I think I would love to try them.. Living in France, must be lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  9. no refrigeration? That boggles my American mind! I had no idea yogurt was such a big deal in France. It's generally considered healthier than other dairy products because of the live bacteria, but when you add in the sugar and flavors, maybe not so much? But still. I'd try them ALL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it definitely *is* refrigerated! Maybe kind of hard to tell? But here's the weird thing ... the milk isn't. That's a whole other post!

      Delete