Pages

01 September 2014

A First Day, En Française

Today was Jane's first day! Oh my, we were both so excited and filled with nervous energy we could hardly sleep last night. (It felt like my first day too!)

But the morning came and we were ready. The hairstyle had been planned and practiced, clothes laid out, school supplies and backpack ready, French language cheat sheet in pocket.


She's in third grade this year! In France it's called CEII or 9ème (they start at 12th grade/ème and count down rather than up, like we do in the States.) We were told we could come up to the classroom early to meet Monsieur Laurent, Jane's teacher. He was kind, soft-spoken, and ... spoke excellent English. Hurrah! Oh, such an answer to prayer.

I stayed with Jane for the first half-hour, whilst the other parents were in and out dropping their kids off, looking excited and nervous just like us. After a bit, Jane told me that she was ready to do the day on her own and gave me a kiss on each cheek, just like a proper French girl. She amazes me.

All day I would find myself remembering her and what a big day she was having and begin praying feverishly. And when I saw her exit the building at the end of the school day, my heart near skipped a beat. Up she came running to me with both relief to have made it through the day and excitement at all she had done.


We all quizzed her over dinner (Peter and Lucette don't begin until Wednesday), peppering her with questions. We learned a lot about her day, but her most favorite thing? Lunch. They ate on proper dishware and enjoyed a first course of fruit or savory crêpes, a main course of roast beef with a sauce/gravy (that was apparently a-mazing), roasted carrots, and "the best crispy, salty fries I've ever tasted" and for dessert, a cheese sampler, yogurt and dark chocolate squares.

As I tucked her in this evening she sighed, proud of her accomplishments today ... and was wondering what will be the next lunch served.

My kind of gal.

11 comments:

  1. Very cute outfits you two have on. Is that a private school? That lunch sounds so delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! Yes, it's a private school, but they are different here in France. They are typically subsidized by the government so they are way, way more affordable than back in the States. The main reason we chose this school was because even though it's a French school, they are familiar with having international families. Huge!

      Delete
  2. Oh, the LUNCH!!!! Can't wait to hear more- I want to hear everyone's lunch, all week, and tons of other details!!! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy report; I'm SO thankful! What a brave, brave girl (and a brave mama)! My eyes filled with tears of joy as I read this. The Lord has gone before you and surrounds you (and your nestlings) even now. A canopy of grace...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hooray! and that lunch sounds aMAzing...as I'm trying to plan a dinner over here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible!! I'm so proud of both of you and can't wait to read about the other first days and the lunches they are served!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way! (I'm proud of us and I can't wait to hear about the other lunches!)

      Delete
  6. How exciting!!

    When I read about Jane's teacher, I was reminded of a Laurent I once knew--a fellow student in the Hebrew Ulpan (language learning school) I was part of when we lived in Tel Aviv. He was French, and his wife Israeli; and Jeff and I enjoyed getting to know them outside of school, too. Like Jane's teacher, he was kind, soft-spoken, and spoke excellent English. :)

    Every time I read about your adventures, a wave of memories related to my own years of international living sweeps over me; and it brings many smiles to my face. Thank you for sharing this adventure with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my word, that sweet girl in her outfit!!! So charming. And that lunch - I am envious on behalf of my own third-grade girl! She was just wheedling me to homeschool her based on the crap food that is served in her US public school. But ha, we pack her lunches! I have heard of the French school lunches and I LOVED reading this post and finding out how real it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful lunch. I wish school lunches here in England were so well balanced.

    ReplyDelete