Pages

29 November 2011

Shiny Kettle Conquered

My tea kettle gets used daily. So she must reside on the stovetop and be routinely assaulted by myriad food and oil splatters. She gets all sticky, splattery, dusty, smudgy and wipe downs are rather futile. The tea kettle is hardworkin' gal, but rarely at her Sunday best.

I usually have at her with an SOS pad from time to time. It works ... mostly ... sort of. But today, I tried something new. Oven cleaner. I tend to shy away from nasty chemical cleaners such as these, but I had a most unfortunate fruit cobbler overflow in the oven not too long ago and something had to be done. Enter in: oven cleaner.

I purchased "fume free" and hoped for the best. I sprayed, I waited, I wiped ... and it was all clean. Wow. And then I sprayed down Miss Kettle and ... double wow.

After a nice soapy rinse down, she is nearly singing on her own. I think I may have to make room for an occasional chemical blast around here.  Any thoughts or experiences of your own?

9 comments:

  1. That does look great!! I too have a very scary oven, particularly after Thanksgiving. I hate chemicals too, but might need to break down. The baking soda is NOT cutting it! What did you use that got such nice results? Is your oven that shiny?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of oven cleaner. Hmmmm......adding it to the shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited you shared this. Our tea kettle is NEVER at her Sunday best. It seems the years of splatter have taken their toll. No amount of scrubbing, etc. has brought back her original shine. Guess I'll be picking up some oven cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! An occasional chemical blast certainly isn't the end of the world. My own tea kettle needs some attention...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for a tea kettle that looks like yours! Where did you get it? Probably a thrift store, aye? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tea pot story. I just cleaned mine. She also sits on the stove and suffers greatly. :) Have a wonderful day!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! shiny! My poor teakettle is like yours used to be. . . not sure I will take to oven cleaner, though. I usually use Bon Ami and a scrubber. My oven is self-cleaning, so I don't need to have oven cleaner on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! Thank you! I don't think I looked there...duh!

    ReplyDelete