Pages

15 September 2010

Prudence Takes a Leap

Yesterday, I described our most recent form of family entertainment. The zipline. I shared how I had some mom-ish misgivings, but how easily swayed I became when I witnessed their sheer delight and obvious aptitude for the thing.

So. I decided to try it myself. Up on the fence I scrambled, scurried down to the end like a giant squirrel with an inner-ear problem, and readied myself for the jump.

"Jump big," Pops tells me, "'cause you don't want to smack into the fence." I'm good at following instructions. I grabbed onto the rope ... and jumped big.

Really big. Like, so big my adult-sized body sailed up into the air with an abandon that should never be attempted ... unless your grip is super tight, your legs are tucked under you firmly, and you are ready for the jolt that comes when your body weight snaps against the overhead wire ...

... of which, I did none. 'Cause I was only told to "Jump Big!" Which I did.

And wouldn't you know ... my grip slipped.

And then I slipped.

And then I ended up on my back in the dirt. Laughing hysterically.

And my children hovered to see if I was okay and why I was laughing so much. And my husband kept taking pictures.

So that, my friends, is a real-life example of what happens when you hoist Prudence up to a homemade zipline and tell her to jump big.

The End.

20 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh. You're certainly braver than I!

    If you haven't already, I recommend a long soak in a hot tub to ease that back....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo!! I hope your not sore. I would love to try that. I would end up down there too. Did you get back up and try it again or did prudence win??
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun mama!! Thank you for making me laugh today... at the expense of Prudence, not Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are hillarious!! And rare few grown women can pull off looking so cute whilst falling from a zipline ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laughing hysterically by myself in my house, alone!!! HAAHAHAHA!!! You are so funny and such a good sport and good mom!!! I love your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for doing it!! I hope you didn't do any damage to your outer shell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is HILARIOUS! I'm glad you're okay. I wanna come try your zipline too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am completely cracking up!!!! I cannot BELIEVE you did that! And what on earth, how DO you look cute falling off that crazy thing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everyone else, how do you manage to look so cute while laying in the dirt? You are so hilarious! I love that you tried it, and I love that Pops told you to jump hard....and then continued to take pictures! Your kids will love the memory of you trying...! So cute, so funny!

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I am laughing along with you, so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came back to look at the photos, again and it made me laugh, again!! Thanks for being so candid and such a delight!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna, I just LOVE your blog! Been checking in on you for a while, but only a while ago figured out how to comment! Duh! Your blog is SO beautiful, but today you just made me laugh! (Speaking of beautiful, I still haven't recovered from the amazing birthday party a few posts back!) Thanks for checking in on Grace from time to time. Wish our paths crossed more often!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic post! That looks like so much fun! Apart from the falling off bit obviously! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it!! I've wanted to put a zipline in our little backyard, but hubby warns we'd run smack dab into the side of the house. Ohwell. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! You are incredible! I tried it on ours and I thought my arms would come out of the sockets. I'm so glad Pops kept the camera shooting...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I'm not that brave ... and you look so good on that zip line! You make risking your life at such treacherous heights look fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the photo of you laughing, flat on your back--and love that Pops kept snapping photos rather than help you up. You've lost none of your zest for life. Well done, you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love these photos - such a fun moment captured!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. THIS IS HILARIOUS!!! I laughed and laughed and laughed...and then showed The Engineer..who laughed pretty hard, too. I must say, you are an encouragement to me - The Engineer wants to put a zip line from the crows nest on the children's swing set, to the pine tree across the yard...and I have adamantly said, NO. Maybe I'll loosen up a little, now. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete