Pages

23 September 2010

Autumnal Pillows in the Family Room

Last year I found just a gob of yardage at the thrift store in an ... Autumnal Medallion Motif! The fabric was vintage but in pristine condition. A nice soft cotton, but still sturdy enough to take some abuse.

After some thought, I made up one cover for a throw pillow just to see if I could live with it's in-your-face declaration of design ... or if it was just too much shazam. The verdict?

Love, love, love! The pattern and colors are bold enough to be interesting but the sea-foam green settles it down to a happy hum. And wouldn't you know, I just happened to have a 16 inch vintage metal sea-foam green zipper! I love it so much it hurts a little.

Now I must promptly commission myself to make at least two more of these darlings. Not like there is dinner to make or chores to be done, right? Pillows are high-priority.

13 comments:

  1. I want those pillows!! How do you find all this amazing stuff at thrift stores??! You could really start a business.....but I think I told you that already! You have an eye girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, now isn't this interesting and fun. If there's anyone who can pull off an autumnal medallion motif it's you, my dear. I must say, that while I couldn't live with it year round, it IS quite nice for the Autumn months. The sea foam green does add appeal and overall the whole get-up adds a nice seasonal punch of color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I loooove those pillows! I want to be like you when I grow up. And I agree with Bonnie- you are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh they're just beautiful! what a nice, colorful way to welcome the outdoors and Autumn into your home. Fabulous find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I've recently been thinking about pillow shams....found one that I love, but I fear it will take me the next 200 years to embroider. Maybe just a nice fabric sham is the answer....

    ReplyDelete
  6. they look wonderful. Wish I knew how to do a zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula-

    You know, zippers aren't as hard as they might seem! If you want a little starter project, I have a tutorial on zippy pouches:

    http://thesweetnest.blogspot.com/2009/08/zippy-pouch-tutorial.html

    It's a pretty quick project and if you can sew seams, I bet you'll do just fine! Let me know if you try it and I'll shower you with congratulations and pride.
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay, i am glad that i tumbled into YOUR blogland just now. your header is lovely. and those pillows? love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey anna!!! love your gorgeous, fall colored pillows! Just wanted to let you know the photo thing is going great...my biggest goal is to make it extremely affordable because I've been in the position twice where I couldnt afford pro pictures!! So anyway, I strongly encourage you to go for it, your pictures are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I love them! In fact, I have the perfect place for them to reside in MY house if you ever feel like moving them along ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a fab cushion! Good job! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the sea foam green zipper...details like that make my heart sing as well. That pillow would look divine next to an embroidered or crewel-worked pillow you just might find at the next estate sale you happen upon.

    ReplyDelete