Pages

04 February 2010

Simmered Lentils in Late Winter

A hearty and very cost-effective meal. Serve with shredded parmesan and a loaf of crusty bread. Just what one needs to keep a little pleasure in late winter. Bon Appetit!

Lentil Stew

Saute in large pot:
• 2 T olive oil
• 2 onions, chopped
• 3 celery stalks (leaves too!), chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, smashed

Add:
• 4 c chicken stock
• 4 c water (more if needed)
• 1 lb. dry lentils
• .5 c pearl barley
• 2 carrots, sliced thin or chopped
Cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Add:
• 28 oz can crushed or petite diced tomatoes
• 1-2 t. salt
• .5 t. pepper
• .5 t. oregano
• .5 t. thyme
• 1 pkg. frozen spinach

Simmer 'til warm through. Makes a huge pot so freeze those leftovers for a lovely quicky meal!

**Perfect baby food. Serve as is or grind for little babes. And, strange as it sounds, our babies loved this mixed with unsweetened applesauce. Gobbled it right up. Freeze extra in ice cube trays and be set for a week!

6 comments:

  1. I love lentils! and what a NEAT pic! but is that a wooden spoon that I spy?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You caught me. It is a wooden spoon. However, since you know my odd can't-touch-dry-wood-or-I-get-the-willies thing I have going ...

    it has a rubber handle.

    Seriously. Dry wood? I shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. look healthy. yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With applesauce huh? I'll have to keep this recipe in mind for us and baby... it's seriously healthy and I'm trying to use lentils more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made lentils this week too! The kids love it. I make up a ham early in the week, then use the leftovers and the bone to simmer the lentils in the crock pot. My recipe looks much like yours with the addition of canned tomatoes, and BBQ sauce. So good for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this recipe! I've been looking for a great Lentil soup. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete