Pages

30 August 2011

Summer Bounty Fresh & Roasted


 A dear friend, and true master gardener, gave me a bag full of the most gorgeous tomatoes I've ever seen. Deep, bright red, smooth and firm, and oh so sweet. Amazing. I have never, ever grown tomatoes even close to these magnificent specimens.

I've been eating them with my eggs in the morning, but decided to roast the remainders. Their flavor was so amazing fresh, I knew they would be simply inspirational with a little olive oil, salt, and sustained heat!

 Slice into thick wedges and drizzle/rub with olive oil and a little bit of ground sea salt and pepper. Roast in a 275 degree oven for 3-5 hours, depending on the thickness of the slices.

While they roast, your house will begin to smell as though a Tuscan granny has been cooking all day. I kept going in and out of the house just so I could re-enter and inhale the magic once more.

Once they are fully cooked (there should be little if no moisture left), let them cool and then store in the fridge. If you can keep yourself from snacking on them like candy, chop them up for salads or pasta dishes or even in a sauce for some roast chicken.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this good idea. I'm canning up some bruschetta with a bunch of mine, but this is an excellent way to use more. Do you think you could freeze them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha - Tuscan granny. and WHY HAVE I NOT roasted tomatoes yet this summer?! Thanks for a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, in response to Erin, I have frozen roasted tomatoes before, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really like fresh tomatoes, but that first photo makes me wish I did! Gosh, those are So pretty (photos and tomatoes)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent idea! One of the professor's colleagues keeps giving us oodles and oodles of garden fresh tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay....does this gardner live in the NW? Sheesh! This has NOT been a good year for tomatoes! I LOVE tomatoes and I'm sad that my crop has been lousy. Also, if you have lots of tomatoes, throw some roasted ones in the blender with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and lemon and it is the yummiest dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What brilliance!!! I can't wait to try this! I'm going to add it to a cream sauce with mushrooms and grilled chicken over pasta! YUM!

    ReplyDelete