Pages

27 October 2009

Drippy Days, Cozy Meal

Are you familiar with leeks? They are really a lovely veggie. I'm always intrigued by their origami fan of leaf sheaths. Like an onion that wishes it was related to a well-sunned palm tree rather than those crazy elephant garlics.

And of course, leeks are wonderfully tasty. When cooked they are smooth, soft, a bit spicy, and almost buttery. A great base for soup when paired with good ol' taters. Since the weather is decidedly cold and drippy, not tropical and breezy, soups sound all the more enticing.

Leek & Potato Soup

Sautee in large pan:

• 3 leeks, sliced thin**
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2-3 T butter
**Use just white and light green parts of leeks. Slice in half vertically, then chop into thin half rounds. Rinse really well, as leeks will be sandy.

Add:
• 4 medium red potatoes, sliced thin or leftover baked/mashed potatoes
chicken broth to cover (about 8 cups)
**No need to peel potatoes, unless you don't like skins.

Cook soup, stirring and mashing up chunks to desired consistency.

Add:
• 1 cup condensed cream of chicken soup (canned or homemade) or 1 cup milk
salt & pepper to taste

Simmer over low heat, stirring well to prevent scorching. Top with chives or parsley!

** I never have figured out what to do with the dark leafy tops. Recipes always have you chop them off and I am left feeling a tad guilty as I scrape them into the garbage. Any ideas out there?

Post-Note: I don't know why I didn't think of it before! I followed your suggestions and added the rinsed leafy leek tops to my chicken stock. Perfect!

5 comments:

  1. Could you put the leeks green tops in with your chicken stock brew? They might add a nice flavor, if not too much sand.

    Potato-leek soup is a favorite. I like to pair it with a piping hot dish of meatballs (for my meatlovers) and some crusty bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, good thought Christian. If I could rinse them really well, that might be just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have NEVER used leeks- ever! You make them sound so tasty. I loved reading about using them- you may actually have inspired me to try this soup.

    And I really like that top picture- looks like it could be in a foodie magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Compost the tops. I am definitely going to make this very easy-sounding soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful pictures! soup sounds delish. also, i've never known exactly how to use leeks...in terms of the base vs the leafy portion. glad to get some ideas! once again, a recipe i'll be trying!

    ReplyDelete