Pages

14 October 2009

A Nice Discovery

May I first say that I hope this picture looks yummy and not revolting. It tasted wonderful, but I'm not sure if it translated visually. Hats off to food photographers, 'cause it's a tricky deal.

So, taking my word for it, what is this tasty dish? Chicken and broccoli soup made from homemade cream of chicken soup concentrate. I was so excited to stumble upon a version of this on the internet, as I hate spending money on those canned versions loaded with MSG. Bluck. So, grab a bag of your frozen chicken stock and toss some together:

Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup

Boil in pot:
1.5 c. chicken broth
.5 c. milk
thyme, sage, marjoram, dash of nutmeg, parsley, dried onion, salt, pepper (just toss in a bit of each or substitute any other favorite herbs)

In bowl, whisk together really well:
1 c. milk
.75 c. flour

Add flour mixture to broth mixture, stirring briskly until it boils and thickens. Let cool and freeze in 1.5 cup servings. Use as you would canned mixture.

**Makes excellent pasta sauce, just add some pasta water to desired consistency.
**For soup, add water or more broth until nice and soupy. Toss in shredded chicken and steamed broccoli, or even corn, chilies, and potatoes. It's really versatile!
**Definitely double or triple this recipe if you can.

4 comments:

  1. The picture doesn't look revolting, and, yes, I agree with you, food photography is HARD.

    Several years ago I too discovered a similar recipe for homemade "cream soup" -- I've never gone back to buying the canned stuff.

    Just recently I found a recipe in a Mennonite cookbook that is a dry mix cream soup alternative, you just add water. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for flavor (and what can beat homemade chicken stock!), but it certainly sounds convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally going to try this- I can't stand the canned stuff. Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this recipe--what a great alternative to the sodium-laden preservative-filled goo that is so often used in recipes--I am SO excited to use this. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete