Pages

03 June 2011

Evening Fuchsia on the Patio and Confessions of a Wanna-Be Gardener

A couple of years ago, Pops banned me from potted or hanging plants. Apparently he has not yet cultivated an appreciation for dried, crunchy plants swinging in the breeze or adorning our patio. Humph. I can hold my own when I shove something in the ground, but freestanding? Not so much.  Seems as though you have to water them regularly, or something demanding like that.

Nevertheless, I have covertly begun to sneak a few pots back into our lives, as they are so welcoming ... if one can keep them alive. I'm doing pretty good so far!

However, when my sweet sister-in-law gifted me with a stunning hanging fuchsia, I was gripped by terror. It was so gorgeous. All I could think was how sad it would be when the happy blooms succumbed to a premature death due to my ineptitude and neglect. Even with regular watering, this poor beauty would surely be doomed. But then, I got a grip. That and my mom told me about these magic pellets from Miracle Grow that you sprinkle on the plant and last for 3 months! Shazaam! I can do this!

In the words of the fab Jennifer Hudson, "It's a new dawn, it's a new day, and I'm feelin' goooooood ..." (cue sassy jazz music).

4 comments:

  1. This photograph is absolutely AMAZING. You are so talented! Just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, you're sweet, Jenn. It's the evening light, I tell you, evening light! Makes for magical photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I need those pellets, I'm determined to put to death my black thumb and keep things alive!! So far, I've turned a new leaf but will happily take help!!! great tip!!! and those flowers are stunners!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband is very resourceful, ask him to plum some drip sprinklers and your problems are solved!!

    ReplyDelete