Pages

02 June 2011

I'm Coming After You, Summer

I'm told that some people in this country are already having berry weather. Oooeee, I'm jealous! I do love me some berry goodness. Pies being the top of my list, but jams, crisps, and straight from farm to mouth all rank up high on my list of culinary pleasures.

Since we are still waiting patiently (not really, but I like to pretend to have this virtue) for our sunny days to come and kiss our sad little green berries, I'm still dreaming up ways to content myself. (My pineapple is almost gone.) Today was berry syrup. Perfect on some quick morning pancakes (Do you have buttermilk? Use it!! I like to do half buttermilk and half regular).

For your syrup, start by making a simple syrup in a saucepan. (Traditionally, this is 1 part water and 1 part sugar. I do about .25 - .5 parts sugar.) Once mixed, toss in some frozen berries (fresh, if you have it!). Stir and simmer on stovetop 'til thickened and bubbly. (If you go low-sugar you may need to mix up a little cornstarch w/ water and add to the syrup to help it thicken.)

So good. And so fast. Bring it, Summer!

5 comments:

  1. wow wow wow, i'm drooling at your picture. such yummy goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's all a matter of what you've been experiencing. It is VERY HOT here and has been for over a week now. I am scared to know what our electric bill is going to be.

    So when you say you've had gray, cool days I am a bit envious.....But I wouldn't want them for as long as you've had them. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, looks wonderful! We are big pancake fans around here and the berry syrup will please everyone. Plus, I have some strawberries that are just starting to turn red in the garden ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I would love to join you breakfast. Thanks for asking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah - so that's how you make a fruit syrup for pancakeses. We're in berry season now, so I can do this. (hope you got yours now!!)

    ReplyDelete