Pages

01 July 2010

To Eat With Utter Abandon

I think I just made the best pasta ever. And by ever, I mean chic-Italian-restaurant ever. Definitely not skinny on the fat content, but too darn fabulous to care. In fact, I was so consumed with gastronomical delight, I didn't even remember to take a photo and had to swipe this lovely image from the chef, herself. (Which in and of itself, is spectacular!)

So. If you are in the mood to indulge, I urge you to try this recipe. You may gain ten pounds. You may eat shocking quantities and still dream of the leftovers for lunch. You may have to wear stretch-pants for the next couple of hours. But it will be so, so worth it ...

Rigatoni with Sausage & Tomatoes

Adapted from Bon Appétit

2 tablespoons olive oil

3/4 lb. sweet Italian sausages, casings removed

1 cup chopped onion

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 pound rigatoni

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Heat oil in heavy large skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium to medium-high heat (with cast iron you can cook on a slightly lower temp). Add sausage and sauté until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Try to break up the sausage along the way with the back of a spoon. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender and sausage is browned, about 3 minutes longer. Add tomatoes and cream. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sausage mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with good sea salt and a little fresh ground pepper.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente (Barilla or De Cecco are my favorite brands–usually rigatoni cooks for 11 minutes). Drain, and return pasta to same pot. Add sausage mixture and toss over medium-low heat until sauce coats pasta. Sprinkle with basil and then Parmesan. Toss and serve!

5 comments:

  1. Ironically, I had this very thing the other day at Buca's and thought, "I've got to figure out how to make this." The best culinary accomplishments are usually the ones you completely forget to document!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasta! Heavy cream! Fresh basil! Parmigiano-Reggiano! Italian sausage! I'm there!

    Making a note of this one... the husband will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good, I am definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! That looks amazing ... I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just printed the recipe! Can't wait to try it! Looks Delish!! (=

    ReplyDelete