Pages

04 June 2010

A Conscious Effort

So far, I've been pretty good with my new year's goal of breakfasting together. When it doesn't happen, we miss it. I take this as a good sign. Friday's, however, tend to be more casual as Pops is out of the house early and we are afforded a late start.

The kids ate their mush with applesauce and I put together my own little meal. Leftover crustless quiche (mix eggs, little water, a bit of cheese, and any desired veggies and bake at 375 degrees 'til done!), yogurt with blueberries and black coffee. (Plus a new book I was happy to find at the thrift store. Nevermind the good reviews, the cover is gorgeous!)

I've been trying to be more conscious about my sugar intake and my snacking by writing down everything I eat. So revealing! While I force my kids into healthy eating habits and we all eat well at shared meals ... I don't always follow the same rules when on my own. I want to start modeling better habits for my kids as well as establishing them for myself. Writing down every morsel has been forcing me into self-accountability and definitely motivates me to eat well so I'm not embarrassed by my tally at the end of the day!

I'm also finding that preparing my meals and snacks in a simple, but attractive way works for me. I'm more likely to be satisfied, eat sitting down, and enjoy the experience. Presentation makes a world of difference, doesn't it?

I think eating can be a real struggle for those of us stay-at-home gals. We're often at home all day, food accessible, and sometimes ... it's the most exciting thing we can think of in the moment. We all know it's not a good idea to use food for entertainment or comfort, but sometimes a giant bowl of ice cream at 1:30 in the afternoon sounds really, really fantastic. Sometimes is really, really fantastic. Can you relate?

Well, I think I've finally tired of my silly mentality. Food is good! I love it! I'm just going to eat better stuff. A pint of blueberries costs way too much ... but using fruit as a treat instead of ice cream? Completely worth the extra couple bucks. And while I'll never completely swear off sugary delights (who would want to?), I'm going to be more selective and aware. For me, this isn't about weight, it's about health and moderation. It's about setting life patterns for myself. It's time to change my whole perspective.

Are you motivated too? Do you have any methods that work for you? Please do share. You girls really know how to encourage and inspire.

7 comments:

  1. I have found that the best way for me to avoid temptation is to not have tempting foods in the house. However, that doesn't always work out when my husband does the grocery shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you posted on this. I agree one hundred percent with you on everything you said. And yes, presentation IS key! I find lunch to be my most difficult meal of the day, simply because having the children occupied at the table allows me to unload the dishwasher, tidy up here or there, etc. and I tend to just nibble and later, scarf down some candy or homemade bread. I've found that if I prepare something that I can eat cold (with little preparation), that will keep for several days, I am much more willing to sit down and eat and enjoy something healthy...like edamame, pea, and lima bean salad in a lemony vinaigrette. Delicious! It keeps for 3-4 days, is healthy, bright, and cheery to eat. And it's fast to prepare.

    I've also been freezing a lot of fruit (bananas, blueberries, & grapes), which has been a wonderful, cool, sweet treat. And when I crave chocolate, I pour a little magic shell over a frozen banana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post, Anna! I am trying to lose weight, so mine is more for weight loss rather than health. Do you swim? I've found swimming in the afternoons helps me to sleep at night then I want to eat better the next day. I also feel that if you make yourself as well as your food presentable, everything healthy tastes better. Good luck! I'm going to subscribe to this post so that I can see what everyone else says.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep sweet treats in the freezer, verses on the counter. That way I don't see the cookies so often, and I have to dig to the back to find them. It also takes away the "but I have to eat them before they get stale!" excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post, Anna, and thank you for being so open with your own thoughts and struggles.

    I'm in a different place right now with a baby who is nursing 8 times a day... I HAVE to snack to get the 500 extra calories that I need each day. My goal is to get those extra calories from carrots and hummus and bananas and almonds, instead of toffee-chip ice cream and potato chips and fresh bread with butter. I'm also having to really make a conscious effort to drink, drink, drink WATER, not juice or tea or limeade from Sonic. I am not a water lover so this is hard for me, but so important.

    In the end it is all about glorifying God with our bodies and setting a good example for our children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids are tempted to satiate a sense of boredom with food, so we have "scheduled" snack times. And we preplan what the snack will be: carrots and pb, apples and raisins, pretzels and slice of cheese. For me, when I don't plan to give good snacks, I'll reach for easy--and easy sometimes isn't as healthy. Love the post!

    ReplyDelete