Pages

12 June 2009

The First Yield

Lucette was out coaxing the vegetables today. It was with great consideration that she spent time smoothing out peas frills and whispering words of encouragement to the pole beans.

Then ... there was discovery. The radishes were ready. Lucette pulled the first with delighted vigor and I showed her how to ready it for consumption. She was sure she wanted to pop the whole bit at once, shunning my idea of slices. Her mouth went from smiles to grimace after the first few crunches and the peppery radish sent her to lap up water from the faucet like a naughty cat. Next time, she agreed, she might advocate slices. Thin slices. On salad. With dressing.

6 comments:

  1. Tell Lucette, I understand her fervor for wanting to sample the first harvest... I did the same thing! I picked a couple more radishes and took them to people and had them try the spicy delights... I was quickly reminded that not everyone like eating something that tastes like horseradish. Our radishes are white and VERY pungent! Hmmm... so I think like a 6 year old? That's okay with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good little gardener...and a perfectly plump radish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! We enjoyed our first zucchini harvest this week. Our chives have been a terrific addition to many dishes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peppery it may be, it's beautiful! I do believe I would be just as eager as Lucette!

    ReplyDelete