Pages

20 June 2009

Sweet Childish Days

Lucette was reading periodicals and found an example of bread bears she was quite fond of. "Mama, can we make these?" she inquired.

I often let opportunities pass when the children are interested in helping in the kitchen. The whole hurried, "I-can-do-it-faster-myself," or "I-have-too-many-other-things-to-do," mentality. Certainly, this is a purely practical perspective much of the time. But, I'm realizing they won't always be so eager and inquisitive in the kitchen. Or perhaps in life, for that matter.

So, this afternoon we tossed together our favorite bread recipe and made a family of cranberry-eyed dough bears. The smiles and giggles that ensued reminded me these efforts are simply worth my time. Because truly, was there really anything else more important to accomplish today?

Sweet childish days, that were as long
As twenty days are now.
~William Wordsworth

2 comments:

  1. that is my favorite post of yours to date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love them, and I applaud you for seizing an opportunity. The bread bears brought delight for an afternoon, the memory will bring delight for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete